Last Updated on March 25 by Monty Python
If you have ever been part of an entertaining event with some special effects then fog machines must have been witnessed. They are widely used at concerts, weddings, Halloween, and other lively parties.
These machines are intended to set the mood of the audience. This equipment is installed and operated by professionals in the entertainment industry, which could be DJs or other event organizers.
The fog machine makes use of the dense vapors that spruce up the environment with the effect which mimics that of the natural fog. Learn more about best cheap fog machines.
Apart from fog, these machines could also produce the effect of haze, dry ice, liquid nitrogen, and liquid carbon dioxide. The working of these machines varies from model to model, where the basic operation remains the same.
Basic components of a fog machine
The following are the key components of a fog machine:
- Fog fluid or fog juice
- Heat exchanger
- Remote control
- Fog machine timer
- Cleaning solution (after use and before storage cleaning solution)
Learn more about how to clean fog machines.
How does a fog machine work?
The majority of the commonly used fog machines are dependent on the fog juice which acts as the fuel of the equipment. This juice is made using glycol/ glycerin mixed with distilled water. This prepared mixture is inserted into the tank of the fog machine. Learn more about How to make fog juice.
Once the equipment is turned on then the mixture filled in the tank of the machine is heated up. This then results in the production of the special effect of fog that builds up and spread throughout the air.
The following are the key steps required for making the fog machine work:
- You need to make sure that you have all the key components which we discussed above in a spate section.
- Fill in the tank of the fog machine with the fog fluid or the fog juice.
- Make the necessary power connection of the fog machine from a conveniently located socket.
- It is important for you to do a test run of your newly purchased fog machine and before you use it at a live party as part of the event décor. This will allow you to know about the performance and the exact special or visual effect that the fog machine will offer you at the party. Doing this will save you from any surprises or embarrassment at the party, especially when the equipment doesn’t perform as it was advertised by the manufacturer.
- Once you are satisfied with the connection and filling up of the tank then make sure that the fog machine needs few minutes to warm up. You cannot expect the fog machine to start producing fog right after you switch it on. A standard fog machine can take anywhere between 3 to 5 minutes to start producing the fog. Make sure that the dry ice or other supplies (if required) are nearby.
- Once the fog machine started to produce fog in the venue then do an estimate about the quantity of the fog. This assessment will help you to strategically place the fog machine at the venue so that the special effect could be felt throughout the place. If you are not sure about the exact placement of the fog machine then you need to test out different possible locations. The idea here is to have the placement which appears to be the spookiest of all.
- You will have the ability to control all the functionalities of the fog machine through remote control. Almost all of the modern fog machines can be remotely controlled so that you do not need to be next to the fog machine for making it work every time.
- You could maximize the timer function that comes with most of the fog machines of today. The timer functionality could stop the machine before the fog juice runs out or when you need to stop it for any other reason.
The fog machine needs to be thoroughly cleaned once it completes a specific number of hours. Many experts ask to clean the machine after 40 hours of use. You must also clean it using the desirable cleaning solution for such machines before you plan to store this equipment.
Video Credit: Crazy Builders
The operation and functionality of the fog machine differ from brand to brand. For this reason, the users need to maximize the user guide to know the specific product inside out. Make sure that you follow the instructions precisely which are given on the fog machine user manual.
The fog machines work on the fundamental principle of using fog fluid as fuel. This fluid is then heated up to create a fog-like special effect, which spruces up the mood of the audience at different entertainment events.
The component inside the machine is a combination of glycerin-based liquid and water. The modern fog machines are quite versatile with technology where you have good control over the type and quality of the special effect to be produced.