If you are an entry-level DJ and trying to learn all about the DJ equipment then you will find those equipment requiring a different level of expertise. The DJ controller is believed to be one of the most challenging ones to master. You must have seen this equipment flashing a few lights onboard. This gear is required to help with the mixing of audio files through a software app, touch strip, faders, knobs, jog wheels, backlit buttons, and multiple other items. The tool is essentially designed for mimicking the mixer and the two CDJs setups. However, the equipment could do a lot more than this, which depends upon the model, manufacturer, and specific features of the controller.
The primary job of the DJ Controller is to provide DJ software with a set of instructions. For example, it could just be simply about playing or pausing the track, which could be done by using either using the button on the board or through the software running on the attached laptop. The majority of the modern controllers are equipped with sound cards which are built-in into the system. This would enable the audio to be sent back to the DJ controller which is initiated from the attached computer using a USB cable. As you can imagine here, the DJ user in this case will have supplementary control over the audio settings which is triggered through different outputs and that also includes the PA system. Learn more about DJ Equipment Rental: How much does it cost?.
Setting up this key equipment is not so much of a difficult task. You need to start this by plugging your laptop or PC into the sockets or ensure there is enough battery backup, in case you are using a laptop. Connection with the socket also needs to be made for the DJ controller in the same manner. On top of that, you also have the option of making the necessary connections of the DJ controller and laptop through the USB cord provided.
The next step is to load the DJ software app which must be installed on your computer. The majority of the software apps for DJs are designed to detect the connections of the controller automatically. However, there could be other types as well which may require supplementary manual input along with the required device selected which you plan to use. Once you are done with the mentioned connections then the equipment is ready to be used. Learn more about How to Connect DJ Controller to Speakers?
After ensuring all of the above, you have reached the point where you could easily map a few of your controls. This is where the user manual of your DJ controller would come in handy as the controls may differ between different variants, while the basic functionality mostly stays the same.
In most cases, you will be connecting the output of the controller with the speakers or the PA system. Sometimes, the DJs may also require to have an external mixture connection for routing the speakers’ output connection. It majorly depends on the setup that is provided right on your DJ booth.
Key points about the DJ controller and its controls for the novice DJs to know about
The following are the points that you as a newbie DJ need to take care of, to use the equipment with the full command:
- Nearly all of the DJ controllers come with the necessary ports to make the connection with the PA system. These points are known as the RCA outputs and the cables used in the process come in white or red types.
- The DJ controller platter comes with two key features; one is the jog wheel for adjusting the tempo and the other one is to match the second song. There is also a control button provided and through this, the DJ could toggle amid two platters.
- The hot cue button is provided onboard which could be used through the pads to jump from one cue to the other.
- One part of the controller is dedicated to manipulate and fully control the FX of the sound been produced. This is what you could expect in making the performance go to the next level.
- The DJs could manipulate the tempo by matching with the BPM provided.
- If your DJ controller comes with the sync function then the same could be used in exchange with the cue control. This is something that provides users with great flexibility with the ease of use and portability of the controller.
The DJ controller is sophisticated equipment. It is something that needs to be practiced before you could rate yourself higher with its usage. The connections of the laptop and DJ controller are quite easy to make. The associated software apps are versatile and offer a lot of functionalities. If you are using this for the first time then try to familiarize yourself with the physical DJ controller and the software.